English: Pratt Institute main gate on Dekalb and Reyerson, looking north on a springtime late afternoon. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Pratt Institute logo (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Victoria Meyers architect is pleased to present a series of diagrams updating ideas from hMa's Pratt Pavilion. In 1999 hMa was hired by Pratt Institute to overview the development of a new campus master plan, and to design Pratt Pavilion, linking two 1890's brick warehouse buildings: Pratt Studios and Stueben Hall. Pratt Pavilion was completed and opened to the public in 2007. Pratt Campus Master Plan is ongoing. The Main Walk will be reconfigured and repaved this summer, with work starting in June 2012.
The plans below demonstrate the progressive changes to the campus, initiated in 1880, when the Pratt family began developing the Pratt Campus to educate young people in engineering and the arts, to maintain American competitiveness.
Pratt Institute circa 1900 : Small Privately Owned Institute: Three buildings with distinct programs: Library, Engineering, Art / Architecture Victoria Meyers architect post
Pratt Institute circa 1990 : Unplanned Dispersion Victoria Meyers architect post
- Enlarged campus with diverse buildings
- Programs dispersed randomly throughout various large, anonymous brick industrial lofts
- No distinct image
- Building Entrances oriented toward streets instead of campus
Pratt Institute circa 2007 : Convergence Victoria Meyers architect post
- Rebranding of the campus, making campus mall the focal point
- Programs focused into single building entities with entrances turned to face the mall
- Original buildings plus new buildings and additions give a 'branded' image to the mall/ campus.
Pratt Pavilion, on the Pratt Institute Campus, by hanrahan Meyers architects: exterior view click here to view all photos of Pratt Pavilion on www.hanrahanmeyers.com. Post: Victoria Meyers architect.
In 2007 hMa's Pratt Pavilion opened, to press and fanfare. Pratt Pavilion was the first building constructed that begins to develop the concepts outlined in the Pratt Master Plan. Pratt Pavilion creates a new main entry into Stueben Hall and Pratt Studios from the Pratt campus. The original building entries were from DeKalb Avenue to the south. With the opening of Pratt Pavilion, the Pratt campus became more cohesive and branded as Pratt Institute's main public space. Pratt Pavilion was recognized with design awards from the AIA NYChapter, as well as the Architectural League of New York for design excellence.